Gainesville Scooter Accident Attorneys
Bird, Lime & Other E-Scooter Accidents in Florida
The advent of electric scooters (e-scooters), such as Birds and Limes, has led to an increase in scooter-related accidents, injuries, and deaths nationwide. As more and more people turn to alternative modes of transportation, including college students in Gainesville looking for something easy to ride and convenient to park, the risk of being involved in a scooter accident will continue to grow.
If you were injured or if someone you love was killed in a scooter accident, Schackow & Mercadante can help. You could be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, future care expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and other economic and non-economic damages. Our Gainesville scooter accident attorneys can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the full, fair compensation you deserve. We have more than 126 years of collective experience, as well as a long and proven track record of success in handling complex motor vehicle accident claims, including those involving scooters and other alternative vehicles, throughout North Central Florida.
Call us today at (352) 261-6767 or contact us online for a free initial consultation with an attorney at our firm.
Common Causes of Scooter Accidents
Most scooter accidents involve some form of negligence. Sometimes, the scooter operator is inexperienced or careless, but more often, it is the negligence of another party—such as the driver of a motor vehicle—that results in these devastating accidents.
Some of the leading causes of e-scooter accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Dangerous road conditions
- Defective roadways
- Poor roadway maintenance
- Faulty scooter design
- Defective scooter parts
If someone else was responsible for the accident that caused your injuries or the death of your loved one, you likely have grounds for a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. It is important that you reach out to an attorney with experience handling scooter-vehicle accident claims, as these are very complex and relatively new cases.
At Schackow & Mercadante, we have successfully represented victims of serious scooter accidents. Our firm handles cases in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Hawthorne, Williston, and all of the surrounding areas. No matter how complicated or challenging your situation may be, we are here to guide you through the legal process and fight for your maximum recovery every step of the way.
Determining who is liable for an e-scooter accident can be very complicated. Most types of liability insurance do not cover these types of accidents, and e-scooter riders are not required by law to carry insurance. So, what happens if you are injured in a scooter accident? Who is responsible for your injuries and related damages, including your medical bills?
The answer depends on the details of your situation. For example:
- If you were hit by a distracted, drunk, or otherwise negligent driver, the driver’s auto insurance may provide some coverage for your accident-related damages.
- If the driver who hit you fled the accident, you may be eligible for compensation through your elective uninsured motorist (UM) coverage—if you have it. You could also file a lawsuit against the hit-and-run driver if they are found.
- If the scooter itself was defective, or if it contained a defective part, you could have a claim against the company that owns or manufactured the scooter. Note that this can be challenging to prove, as you are required to sign a liability waiver to ride most e-scooters.
- If the accident occurred as a result of dangerous road conditions or poor roadway maintenance, you could have a claim against a municipal or government entity or another party responsible for roadway design, construction, and/or maintenance.
At Schackow & Mercadante, our Gainesville scooter accident attorneys carefully review all claims. We only accept cases we truly believe we can win, and we have the resources to thoroughly investigate all types of e-scooter accidents. Our team can handle claims involving single-scooter accidents, multiple-scooter accidents, scooter-vehicle accidents, scooter-pedestrian accidents, and more.
When it comes to negotiating with insurance providers and other liable parties, we are aggressive and relentless in our pursuit of full and fair compensation for our clients. While we strive to settle our clients’ cases as efficiently as possible, we are always prepared to take cases to trial whenever necessary. We are known for our tireless approach to litigation and trying cases, an approach that has helped us recover numerous favorable outcomes for our clients.
What to Do After a Scooter Accident
If you were involved in an electric scooter accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Even if you believe your injuries are not that serious or will heal on their own, you should still see a medical professional and receive treatment. In many cases, the shock of an accident can mask the true severity of one’s injuries.
After seeking medical attention, you should:
- Call 911 and/or local law enforcement and provide an official police report detailing how the accident occurred
- Get the name, contact information, and insurance information of the other person involved (if applicable and possible)
- Talk to any witnesses who saw what happened and, if possible, get their names, contact information, and a brief statement
- Preserve evidence from the scene of the accident, such as the scooter you were riding, photos of your injuries, and photos of the accident scene
- Request and keep copies of your medical records, the police report, and other important documents/information
- Avoid speaking to insurance adjusters from the other person’s insurance company, and never sign anything or agree to a settlement without talking to a lawyer
- Contact an attorney with experience handling e-scooter accident and injury cases, like the team at Schackow & Mercadante
You should reach out to an attorney as soon as possible after the accident. When you contact Schackow & Mercadante, we will immediately begin gathering more information about the accident, your injuries, and the effect they have had on your life. We offer free initial consultations during which we can review the details of your case and provide personalized counsel regarding your options.
Our Gainesville e-scooter accident attorneys are here to guide you through every stage of the legal process. We are committed to fighting for the maximum compensation you are owed, whether by negotiating a fair settlement or pursuing your case at trial. Our team offers compassionate, client-focused legal representation and tireless advocacy you can rely on.
For more information, call (352) 261-6767 or contact us online today.
“I met with Marie Banks to go over Car Accident Preparedness. She was awesome and so full of knowledge. Patient with all my questions and I left her office feeling good about the insurance I had and felt prepared if an accident were to happen. She treated me like family. Thank you! 10 out of 10 would definitely recommend.”
Personalized Advice & Concierge Level Experience
Direct Communication With Your Attorney
Over 125 Years of Combined Experience
Practicing in The Gainesville Area 55+ Years